Hat tip to Scotty for pointing out that you can once again created filtered games feeds in Facebook. You can use the following link to see all games from your normal feed (with all non-game items filtered out):
The following link will show only Castle Age items in your feed:
For Castle Age: HoD you would use the following link:
Once you go to the link simply bookmark it and you can easily focus on your favorite game as needed. If you want to do it for any other game find the app ID and replace the X with the ID in the following URL:
Today it has been noticed by players that there is an ‘opportunity’ to spend FP when collecting coins after a guild battle. The CA forum has a thread about this. Apparently this feature has existed in HOD for a while now. Watch out for that button!!! If you click it and have FP you will lose some of that FP!!!
There is concern that spending the FP will in fact “Buy” top positions in the rankings. This really isn’t directly true, because all the FP does is increase the amount of Guild Coins collected. However indirectly it may be true: guild members that have members that get more Guild Coins will be able to buy more abilities… in turn theoretically meaning more wins.
At first I thought this was just a crazy money-grab from the devs. But now after calming down I think it really won’t affect much. Pretty much the only ones who will purposely use the button likely already spend a lot of FP.
Just remember: Watch out for that button!!! If you click it and have FP you will lose some of that FP!!! If you accidentally spend FP using this feature I would use the “Report/Contact this app” link within the Castle Age interface to get your FP back (you have to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page to see this.
When you are trying to send gits in the CA interface the screen may be too small and only show 1 small row of friends. This appears to be a Facebook issue that affects many games, not just CA.
The workaround to this is to ‘right-click’ in that small row of people and choose “open link in new tab”. You will now have a full-page to send your gifts from.
This has been a known issue for a while, but thought I would post it here. If you have an apostrophe’ in your name the gifting pop-up will not appear after you click “send gifts” or “invite followers” or “invite army”. Below is a procedure that can be used in Chrome to get around this issue.
Before doing this procedure I would ensure you simply don’t have pop-ups blocked in your browser!!! This also includes any toolbars you have installed in your browser. It may not be the browser blocking pop-ups, but a toolbar!
This is at best a hack / temp solution for those unable to send out “follower invites” for those that have an apostrophe in their name.
a.) Navigate to the duel battle page / screen
b.) Right click on the “Invite Followers” button
c.) Select “Inspect Element”
d.) Locate the “onclick” event.
e.) Double click on the “onclick” event (or the function being called)
f.) Locate the apostrophe (in my case it was in my name … Joe O’Soap is …)
g.) Insert a “\” before the apostrophe (i.e Joe O\’Soap)
h.) Press / hit the enter key
i.) Re-click on the “Invite Followers” button
It should display a “popup” window now
This would have to be repeated every time you wish to send out a request, until CA caters for legal “special characters”.
If you’re doing send gifts or invite army just use that in place of the “invite followers” in the procedure above”.
I can find it, but I thought I read on a forum thread that someone tried to change their name to take out the apostrophe and that didn’t fix the problem.
(As a side note… thanks to this post I had to search for my Apostrophe CD from Frank Zappa.. Great Album!!!)
Due to lack of changes I haven’t really posted anything recently. However I have a LOT of people messaging me asking about CA’s 3rd party addons announcement. Here is the announcement from the CA news feed:
We do not encourage the usage of third party addons/tools, as it is possible for your account to be compromised through the usage.
We can’t control what these third party addons do, once YOU allow the addons access.
Castle Age Dev
The main question I have gotten is “What is a 3rd party addon?” A third-party application is “a reusable software component developed to be either freely distributed or sold by an entity other than the original vendor of the development platform.” Or more plainly put in this case: A developer creates a program that ‘enhances’ Castle Age, since the CA devs did not create this application it is considered ‘3rd party’.
Third party application that allow cheating are strictly forbidden and can get your CA account banned.
However there are 3rd party applications that don’t allow cheating, but instead enhance the interface. While these apps are not considered cheating the devs still discourage the use of these applications. Some possible reasons for this (from my opinion, not from the devs):
- 3rd party applications generally don’t get the same level of quality checks. Even though it seems that CA is buggy at times, I’m sure they do actually have testing that occurs. This is less likely for 3rd party applications.
- 3rd party applications can create security holes. The recent problem with CA-Tools is an example. People who used CA tools and then copied/shared their link could have their account compromised. You could actually play as someone else if you had their link. This is a serious security risk presented by a 3rd party application. The security hole has supposedly been fixed, but that does not mean more can’t exist. (Of course more can exist directly in CA, but having 3rd party apps increase the risk of that happening).
- 3rd party applications can break things. Specifically to CA-Tools again people have been complaining of “you have already assisted” messages when answering CTA’s. This is due to how CA-Tools has to reload out of the iFrame. This isn’t a huge issue, but highlights how 3rd party applications can break basic functions.
Personally I stay away from 3rd party apps. The CA-Tools (well CA-Tools2 now I guess) does have some nice added features, but nothing essential. Some features of CA-Tools I wish they would add to CA include:
- Experience needed to level-up. Real nice for planning stamina/energy use.
- Who hit me: For PvP’ers this feature is nice to see who hit you and the results in a table form.
- General quick changer: This is the only feature of CA-Tools I really liked when testing it.
I recommend people stay away from 3rd party addons. Yes, I did install CA Tools (and a couple of other 3rd party addons) to check it out, but have since then uninstalled it and decided it wasn’t worth the risk. Instead if you want features added I would head over to the CA forum and make suggestions!
Going forward I expect more clarification to come from the devs. Here is the latest post from Kori I can find on the CA forum on the subject.
Because of the problems with Castle Age many are manually entering https when going into Castle Age. If this is becoming a pain follow these steps to force Facebook (and thus Castle Age) to use HTTPS by default:
- On your main Facebook page go into “Account” in the upper right-hand side and choose “Account Settings”
- Halfway down the page there will be a setting called “Account Security”. Click on “Change” next to that.
- More settings will appear. Click the box in front of “Browse Facebook on a secure connection (https) whenever possible”. Then click “Save”.
- Facebook should now show HTTPS in the address bar.
Today the developer Kori posted this in the CA news feed:
May 17, 2011 by Kori
Facebook recently turned on a security layer that is messing up our rendering of images if you are using the Internet Explorer browser.
-Switch to a compatible browser, either Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome would work
-If you are unwilling to switch to another browser, please try to switch on Compatibility View in Internet Explorer 7/8/9 as suggested by our forum community (thanks!).
We will try to implement a workaround Facebook’s changes in the upcoming weeks. In the meantime, please try the solutions above.
Sorry for the inconvenience!
I don’t use IE so haven’t seen the issue first hand. All I will say is that Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox work much quicker than IE!!! Personally I use Chrome for most of my internet browsing. But sometimes I use Opera or Firefox for the occasional site that doesn’t work well with Chrome.
And yes, there is a new quest realm out: Fire II. I haven’t had a chance to look at this yet. Post forthcoming most likely this evening.